Dutch Corner Restaurant | Our Story
Manchester's corner spot since 1953
Dutch Corner has been feeding Manchester, Maryland for over 70 years — same building, same Main Street, same warm welcome. The story goes back a lot further than most people realize.
The building's many lives
Before it was a restaurant, this spot on Main Street was a hotel called the Old Franklin House, then CV Greifenstein's gas station and electrical shop — tires were repaired in what is now the kitchen. In the 1920s, an addition connected the building to the Erb family's bar and Doc's barbershop, and later the Dutch Treat Ice Cream Shoppe.
How Dutch Corner got its name
Around 1951, George and Isabelle Harman opened a flower shop here, and the name Dutch Corner stuck. George and Mildred Essich opened the restaurant itself in 1953, and Susan Rill has been running it since December 2000 — with a grateful nod to Marian and Jack Nash of the Greifenstein family for their mentorship along the way.
More than a place to eat
Dutch Corner has always been a gathering spot, not just a restaurant — and the community has noticed. In 2014, the Baltimore Sun recognized Susan and Dutch Corner with the Business Philanthropist of the Year Award for her dedication to giving back.
The food we're known for
Breakfast is served all day, every day — think Original Malted Waffles, sausage gravy over biscuits, Outlaw Homefries, and eggs made just the way you like them. It's honest, made-to-order food that keeps folks coming back, and we wouldn't have it any other way.